About South American Explorers
The mission of the South American Explorers is to improve the social, economic and environmental conditions within South America by fostering greater awareness of this continent through the diffusion of information and cross cultural interaction
Aims and Purposes
South American Explorers is dedicated to:
- Furthering the exchange of information among travelers and researchers
- Promoting responsible travel through the publication of pamphlets, information packets, the internet, and our magazine, the South American Explorer
- Publicizing projects aimed at improving social and environmental conditions in Latin America and collecting funds for their activities
- Awakening greater interest and appreciation for the welfare of endangered peoples, wildlife protection, and wilderness conservation
- Collecting information on volunteer and research opportunities
- Fostering ties between non-profit organizations, NGO’S, and conservation groupsBack to the top
American Explorers General Membership Services:
Members of the South American Explorers receive:
- A one-year subscription (four issues) to the South American Explorer magazine.
- Access to our clubhouses in Quito, Lima and Cusco – trip reports, luggage storage, book exchange, mail and e-mail service etc.
- Discounts at a number of lodges, hotels, travel agencies, language schools, and guides in Peru and Ecuador.
- Help and advice from the friendly, knowledgeable club staff when planning trips and expeditions. Members can do their own information searches at any one of our clubhouses or solicit information by phone, mail, e-mail. It helps if we know when you plan to travel, the size of your budget, your interests, the number of people in your group, your preferred type of transportation, and anything else that will guide us in providing you with the most useful and detailed information possible. As a rule, the more specific your questions, the better our answers.
- Discounts on books, tapes, maps, and other goods available from the club’s store.
- Access to the club’s libraries, map collections, scientific reports, magazine and newspaper articles, theses, and books.
- Networking, the art of bringing like-minded people together. Members looking for travel companions or who wish to contact experts in various fields can post notices to the SAE electronic bulletin board, or on the bulletin boards in the Lima, Quito and Cusco clubhouses. They can also place classified ads in the South American Explorer (For the first 25 words: Members–(noncommercial) $10, (commercial) $30. Non-members–(noncommercial)$20, (commercial)$40. Each additional word is 50 cents).
- Additionally, members can call upon the SAE staff for help when emergencies or other problems arise.
- The club will receive donations of money or goods for research and allocate these to worthy projects. Gifts by donors are tax deductible.
SAE Membership Categories
Note: Prices are for US members. $10.00 will be added to overseas memberships, for postage.
- Magazine subscription: $22/yr, $35/2 years. No benefits other than the pleasure of reading the magazine.
- Regular ($50 individual, $80 couple): Benefits include all of the services listed above and a laminated rabid bat spittle-proof membership card.
- Contributing ($80 individual, $125 couple): These members contribute immeasurably to the general cheer of the organization. These valued members receive a free SAE T-shirt in addition to the regular perks.
- Supporting ($150 individual, $225 couple): As the name implies, these Members are virtual pillars, generously supporting their club in its heroic efforts. They also receive a free SAE t-shirt and may also bestow two free gift subscriptions to the South American Explorer at any time during the period of their Membership.
- Life ($750 individual, $1,150.00 couple): Our worthy Life Members receive all the benefits of club membership during their mortal tour of this planet. Esteemed Life Members receive an SAE T-shirt and are encouraged to choose one of any of the items from our catalog. Life Members may also confer ten free gift subscriptions on their pals and cronies at any time.
- Afterlife ($7,500 individual, $10,000 couple): As an Afterlife Member you will, of course, receive all the benefits bestowed upon Life Members as well as will face eternity with serenity, assured of your club’s perpetual gratitude. You will know the true meaning of immortality as you return each year to preside at the annual club bacchanal held in your honor. Imagine the envy of your fellow spirits when they witness this outpouring of affection and devotion to your revered memory, a blessed dividend of immortality that might have been theirs had they but followed your sublime example and shown but a mote of your greatness of heart during their brief and pointless jigs upon the stage of life.